X
Recipe Image

Water and Heat


Water and Heat

70% of the water we use is natural rainwater that is collected from the roof of the glasshouses then stored in lined reservoirs. The other 30% is taken from underground aquifers that are reached by deep bores that go as far into the earth as the sky tower goes up. We generally mix the water sources then feed it to the plants in the glasshouses via our irrigation and fertiliser system.

To ensure that our tomatoes are both delicious and of premium quality one of our priorities is to keep them warm and dry. We do this by using natural gas to heat water which is then fed through metal pipes that travel down the length of each glasshouse row.

When you burn natural gas you acquire three elements;

1) H20-100% pure water vapour, which is released into the environment

2) Co2- Carbon Dioxide- We collect the carbon dioxide, then feed it back into the glasshouse where the plants use it as a food and at the same time through the process of Photosynthesis, convert it onto O2 – Oxygen

3) Heat- The heat is used to warm water which circulates through the glasshouses to keep them warm and dry.

Burning natural gas creates a perfect warm and dry growing environment, which results delicious premium tomatoes. Collecting rainwater from the roof and feeding waste Co2 to the plants helps minimise any effects on the environment.


                


How to Recycle NZHH Products

Did you know?